Tuesday, October 25, 2011

paper pumpkin lanterns {tutorial}

I've been looking for ways to use up the rest of the scraps of Halloween paper from this bat mobile / chandelier project and my trick-or-treat banner. I found orange string lights at Walmart and came up with the perfect project. Okay, confession time. I struggled and struggled to find a good way to do what was in my head for this string of lanterns. I almost gave up. Then I finally figured it out. The only downside is that it's permanent, but I think these little pumpkin paper lanterns are cute enough to keep! I'm planning on using this lantern garland to light up the back of my mini van at our church's trunk-or-treat this week (luckily I have a power outlet in the trunk!). Here's how to make some paper pumpkin lanterns, just in time for Halloween!

Paper Pumpkin Lantern Tutorial

Supplies:
*Patterned paper or card stock
*Paper cutter
*1/8" hole punch
*Brads
*Fast-drying glue (I used Glossy Accents, but a hot glue gun might work, too--just don't burn yourself!)
 
 

1. Cut 12-20 strips of paper 1/2" x 4" (I used about 14 per lantern).

2. Punch holes in the ends of each strip (I stacked them up and cut as many at a time as possible).

3. Insert a brad through the holes and fasten.

4. Fan out strips evenly in a circle.

5. Fold up the ends of each strip about 1/4".
 



6. Cut a strip of paper 1/2" by 1 1/2".

 7. Glue the strip around the base of a bulb on a string of lights.

8. Turn strip circle upside down. Bring up each strip and glue the folded edge to the paper strip you glued to the bulb's base. This is where the fast-drying glue comes in handy!

Continue with additional strips. I found the best way is to glue one from each quarter of the circle first, then continue with other strips. 


9. Cut a strip of paper 1/2" by 2". Glue it around the top of the pumpkin to keep the strips in place. This also makes a cute little stem!
 

Continue adding lanterns with different papers. I placed mine every 2 lights so they wouldn't be too crowded.




Hang and enjoy some spooky mood lighting this Halloween!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “paper pumpkin lanterns {tutorial}”

tinajo said...

Love these - adorable! :-)

tina said...

great idea! I don't have time for Halloween, but I'm going to save it for Christmas :)

Lorilee said...

That is a wonderful idea! SOOO cute.
Blessings,
Lorilee

Sheila said...

Very cute! Maybe I could make these next year. ;)

Las Cholas said...

divine!! thanks for sharing the tutorial!!
see you, chola.

Panda8ngel said...

Very cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Cute, love them! thanx for sharing!

Natalie
www.projectdowhatyoulove.wordpress.com

JEROSHA Ă„RETUN said...

awesome idea and thanks for sharing =)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs